Sunday, April 25, 2010

day 36 - directions....

Humphhhh, ....
I wish One Word could sum up my mis-adventure day before y-day or rather night before y-night...
ok, first the background, God in a hurry, while assembling me, forgot to fit the compass... hence I entered d world w/o an iota of sense of direction... !!!
And unlike other traits, this one is governed solely by heredity and not environment... ie nature not nurture...!
U can imagine (if you share the same birth defect or if u know me) how difficult navigation can be for ppl like me
.... Some pointers to this effect can throw sum light on the gravity of this problem...
1. Bombay - my own city.... unfamiliarity with sum of the best known landmarks of the city....
2. Visiting a place...once...twice...thrice... Dozens Of times...n still blank...stark blank ....wen I hv to reach their again...
3. Always taking the same wrong left / right turn, only to regret and make the umpteenth promise to myself that I won't repeat the same mistake again!
4. Wen out alone, Having no qualms about asking ppl around for directions....time n again.... No ego hassles here! Ha!
5. struggling to get a mental path of the route to go to a particular place...
6. A feeling of extreme ecstasy on seeing the green signboard with white font reinforcing that I'm driving on the right road...
7. Crying / howling on finding out that I've gone off in totally diametrically opposite direction.. (latest eg: wen I reached bombay central instead of nehru centre - coz the cabbie heard the former...) .... Okie now.., stop laughing!
8. spending double the taxi / rickshaw fare coz the driver's taken me for a ride! Literally!
9. Reading the signboard on shops to realise the area / suburb/ road I'm on...
10. extreme phobia of trying out a different route... :)

And all this in my Own city.... I don't have to bother elaborating on out-of-town experiences...:)
And before u try n gender-ise the issue...kindly note that my mom n sis are even better than any migratory bird species...they have n Awesum sense of direction....
So now u know wat to gift me...bombay guides, maps, compass... !!!

1 comment:

Prutha said...

I hv the same birth defect! Once i was desperately trying to reach SIDBI main office in fort. I stopped at a bus stop and asked for directions. Then roamed around for another 5 min and again asked for directions at another bust stop. Or so I thought coz after a while I realized that it was the same bust stop I had approached earlier. A gentleman finally took pity on me and walked me till the building which was just 2 min away from thr :-)
I didn't know this is coz god forgot to fit a compass in me :-)
Prutha
Do visit again as promised.
http://blogs.rediff.com/yicry/